Meet our NEW Principals

Since the school’s founding in 2000, Kennesaw Mountain has been THE school to lead and learn. Our teachers and staff pride themselves on building a positive school culture with student-centered approaches and a thorough understanding of content knowledge. We work consistently to develop a sense of family with students, parents, staff, and the community and enjoy initiating leadership roles with all parties.

This year, under the guidance of our outstanding principal Mr. Stark, our school’s amazing administrative team grew in size, welcoming 3 new principals to KMHS. You can spot these amazing women wandering the halls with their walkie-talkies, checking-in on teachers in their rooms, and engaging in meaningful conversations with students. BUT, just in case you want to know more about this wonderful team, The Mustang Messenger has you covered!

Interview

KA = Mrs. Artigas
AW = Mrs. Wood
KW = Mrs. Williamson

1) Please tell us a little bit about yourself, your background, and what led you into educational leadership:

KA: I am a graduate of McEachern High School. The 2023-2024 school marks my 29th year in education. I was a social studies teacher for 18 years before going into school administration. I taught at three high schools (McEachern, North Cobb and Kennesaw Mountain) and I have been an assistant principal at Campbell High School and Pope High School. I did not immediately seek an administrative position after I was credentialed. I loved being with my students but through different professional opportunities I experienced, I decided to pursue leadership because it provided me with an opportunity to make a difference beyond the classroom.

AW: I grew up in Florida, but I lived in Texas before finally settling in Georgia. I have two kids; both are in college. I always thought I would be a hematologist or epidemiologist, but after spending some time in the labs I realized that was a lonely job and I enjoyed being around people. I had tutored for extra money and my teachers thought I would be a great teacher, so I decided to try it and never left. I have a degree in mathematics with a minor in biology and secondary education. I taught math for a while but changed to science when I started working at KMHS. From there, I got really involved in STEM education and working with magnet students. When Dr. Ingle announced her retirement, I was excited for the opportunity that would allow me to continue to work with students, but also with their teachers.

2) How would you describe your leadership style?

KA: I try to be consistent, fair and I strive to treat everyone with respect.

AW: The teachers and students at KMHS are amazing, so my style is providing them with the support that they need to be successful in and out of the classroom and then stepping back and letting everyone do their best work.

3) What is your favorite part about KMHS?

KA: Kennesaw Mountain is a family. Kennesaw Mountain is home. I appreciate being able to visit my old classroom, room 202, to remember happy times and crazy stories from my classes.

AW: The students are my favorite part about KMHS. I really do love working with them.

4) What are some of your personal hobbies, likes, or interests?

KA: I enjoy traveling. This summer I made my 26th visit to London and Spring Break 2024 I am going to Spain with Pope students. European soccer is a major interest. I enjoy following the Spanish and English premier soccer leagues and I am a season ticket holder for Atlanta United.

AW: I enjoy traveling, gardening, playing video/phone games, and going to the movies. I love Formula 1 racing and have attended a couple of races.

5) Finally, what is one piece of advice that you want students to remember?

KA: You can always reinvent yourself.

AW: The answer is always no, unless you ask.