Tragedy of The Baltimore Key Bridge

Tragedy of The Baltimore Key Bridge

The Francis Scott Key Bridge, commonly known as the Key Bridge, stood as a vital transportation artery in Baltimore, Maryland, spanning the Patapsco River. Constructed between 1972 and 1977, it connected Baltimore with Anne Arundel County and served as a crucial link in the transportation network, carrying Interstate 695 (the Baltimore Beltway) over the river. With its steel through-arch design and a main span of 1,200 feet, the Key Bridge is a testament to engineering prowess and is one of the region’s most recognizable landmarks. Named after Francis Scott Key, the author of “The Star-Spangled Banner,” it held historical and patriotic significance, reminding residents and visitors alike of Maryland’s rich heritage. Beyond its practical importance, the bridge offered picturesque views of the Patapsco River and the Baltimore skyline, attracting tourists and serving as a recreational spot for fishing and boating.

Tragically, a catastrophic event unfolded on Tuesday as the Singapore-flagged cargo ship DALI collided with the Francis Scott Key Bridge, resulting in its collapse. The ship, measuring approximately 984 feet in length and weighing 95,000 gross tons, lost both engine and electrical power just moments before the collision, leaving it adrift towards the bridge. Despite efforts by the pilot to slow down the vessel and steer it clear of the bridge, the ship veered off course and crashed into one of the bridge’s pillars. Six contraction workers filling potholes on the bridge were believed to be in the water following the incident. The bodies of two were recovered Wednesday but search-and-recovery efforts for the four-presumed dead- workers have been paused as crews grapple with dangerous debris, treacherous conditions in the water and the presence of hazardous materials aboard the ship. The Key Bridge, classified as “fracture critical” without redundancies, succumbed to the impact. Though it had passed inspection in May 2023, it stood as one of 17,468 similar bridges in the US lacking redundancy.

The six men were employed by Brawner Builders, a local contractor specializing in bridge maintenance. Described as “wonderful family people” by Jeffrey Pritzker, executive vice-president of Brawner Builders, they left behind spouses and children. Jesus Campos, who worked on the bridge and knew members of the crew, recalled their camaraderie and the shock of the incident. He emphasized the difficulty of the situation, highlighting the suddenness and gravity of the collapse.

Four of the six victims have been named so far:

• Miguel Luna, from El Salvador, was a husband and father of three, residing in Maryland for over 19 years. 
  • Maynor Yassir Suazo Sandoval, aged 38, from Honduras, had lived in the US for 18 years, had a wife and two children.
  • Dorlian Ronial (found), aged 26, from Guatemala. He came to the US to follow his dreams and help his mother. 
  • Alejandro Hernandez Fuentes (found), aged 35, from Mexico.

We hope that the families of these individuals soon find closure, and that these individuals rest in peace.