Join the Friends Club

Are you looking to join a new club? Do you want to have a leadership position? Have you ever wanted to get to know new students at Kennesaw Mountain? Do you want to make a positive impact on someone else’s life?

Good news, because now can do all of this and more by joining The Friends Club here at The Mountain!! The Friends club is a new club that is emerging at Kennesaw Mountain High School and has the ability to change the lives of all of the members involved. The Friends Club promotes the inclusion of special needs students at our school. It gives Students in the special education program the chance to become involved in an extracurricular activity at school, which will promote their school involvement and school spirit.

Kennesaw Mountain has a large special education program and a high record of service for special needs programs through activities like the Special Education Dance, and the Special Education Field Day. The students of Kennesaw Mountain even stood up to our local politicians to encourage the construction of the Horizon Baseball Fields which host a baseball league for children with special needs. As a part of The Friends Club you will become a building block in the tower of new opportunities for our peers with special needs and disabilities.

The Friends Club creates an environment where general education students and special education students can come together to build relationships that were not previously possible. These new friendships that you will build through The Friends Club will be different than any of your other relationships, and will mean the world to students in special education. Children in the special education programs have less opportunities to meet general education students, and The Friends Club gives them the chance to create relationships different than the ones they have with the other students in their specialized classes.

Besides these new friendships, The Friends Club will allow you to have the chance to become a mentor to students with special circumstances. A leadership role from a club like The Friends Club will not only look great on future college application, but will also give you a sense of pride knowing that you have had a positive impact on someone’s life. Besides, who doesn’t want to hang out and make new friends?

As a member of the Friends Club you will come to meetings where we participate in activities with the special needs students at our school. Different club activities might include fun activities such as art and crafts, science labs, eating snacks, hanging out with our new friends, holiday parties and so much more! The whole purpose is to promote a healthy environment where students can come together and have a good time with one another.

If you think becoming a mentor and building positive relationships with special education students is something you want to do, and you want to become a member of this heartwarming club, you will need to pick up an application from Mrs. Holcomb in room 227. Welcome to the Friends Club!