Filed under Featured, Sports

Varsity Girls Volleyball Spike to Success

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Lady Mustangs concluded their 2018 season with a 31-13 record, making this the third year in a row finishing with a winning season. Mr. Michael Loyd, Kennesaw Mt. High School counselor and dedicated volleyball coach, aced every possible  goal that was achieved this season for the Lady Mustangs.

“This year’s season was very rewarding. We lost seniors that had been on varsity for four years and had players in new positions but we out-performed expectations. The chemistry of this team was the best of any team I have ever coached. They played for each other and battled together,” said Coach Loyd.

After graduating three seniors in 2017 who played such a big role in the program, the success for the 2018 season was debatable. Every week since June the team made it their priority to work harder than any other team in Cobb County– workouts in the am and practices until 7:30 pm after school. This group of girls was determined to exceed everyone’s expectations.

On October 13, 2018, after an eight-year drought, the team took home the Class 7AAAAAAA Region Championship. After coming so close to winning the championship last year, winning the title this year was the only thing on their mind. That, and of course, making it to state tournament. The season concluded and the team danced all the way to the Sweet 16.

Showing in the records and comradery as a team, the 2018 KMHS Varsity volleyball season was one that will be remembered for a long time.