Filed under Featured, Student Life

DECA – A Pathway to Success

Back to Article
Back to Article

DECA – A Pathway to Success

Are you still looking for an engaging and exciting club to join for the 2018-2019 school year? Look no further than DECA.

Mrs. Fiechtl, Kennesaw Mountain’s business teacher and the DECA sponsor, said about DECA, “It’s amazing because students are learning necessary life skills and creating connections for the future.”

DECA stands for Distributive Education Clubs of America. It is a career and technical student organization that helps develop young leaders to prepare them for the business world. DECA connects hundreds of other schools to help students practice their business skills. The club frequently competes against schools across the state, and even the country, on professionalism and leadership skills.

How would this help a student in their career life? DECA is supported by global companies such as H&R Block and Chipotle. Joining DECA helps students prepare for jobs In fields such as marketing, finance, hospitality, and management. With over 215,000 members, competitions are held every year to drive students to excel and improve their performance.

DECA is available to join for anybody and it does not have any requirements. Joining DECA is guaranteed to help you. The dues are $25 and that includes a tee shirt. Listen to the announcements for meeting times and dates or go online to the school’s website to access the DECA information. Mrs. Fiechtl is available in room 218 for more information

Jasmine Jones, a senior who recently joined DECA said that her business skills have improved. She is also willing to communicate with more people.  Jasmine admitted that she has an easier time approaching people and her speaking skills have improved.

Confidence is a skill that is not only required in your job. Many DECA members, including Jasmine, develop higher levels of confidence by public speaking.  Overall, DECA teaches necessary life skills which everyone can use.