Top Paid Actress of 2015

Jennifer Lawrence leads the pack

Red Carpet Report

Red Carpet Report

Christiana Akinosho, Editor-In-Chief

In recent years Forbes has only covered a list regarding top paid male actors; however for 2015, acknowledgement was given to female actresses. It has been discussed in recent years the staggering difference between pay for male and female actors. Actors of the Oscar nominated film American Hustle received profit cuts from the movie of nine percent while their female counterparts received only seven percent. This difference is seen through the demographics of movie roles. In 2014 only 28% of the characters in top grossing films were female, meaning the “moviegoer” or consumer, was more likely to see films with males in leading roles.

Jennifer Lawrence was the top paid actress of the year, with a gross income of 52 million, which is about 30 million below that of actor Robert Downey Jr.. Both Lawrence and Downey’s earnings are gross income, which means they haven’t subtracted out management fees and taxes. Yet, Lawrence and Downey’s earnings still carry a significant numerical difference. However, this trend of male actors in films receiving higher pay may see a change in 2016. The top films of 2015, Insurgent and Catching Fire, both have female leads and the change seems to be catching on.

Consumer’s tastes have shifted to be centered on characters who are strong, independent and now, female. This trend shows itself in the anticipated release of Allegiant, the third in the Divergent trilogy and the final Hunger Games film, Mockingjay Part 2 starring Jennifer Lawrence. Hopefully this trend will be shown in box office hits as well as the list of top paid actress in 2016 and the years to come.