Game Recap: Kennesaw Mountain @ Sprayberry

Sprayberry 17 - Kennesaw Mountain 10

Sophomore Baylor Cantrell successfully kicking a field goal

Michael Deatrick, Sports Editor

On August 28, our Kennesaw Mountain Mustangs officially began the high school football season against the Sprayberry Yellow Jackets. It was a competitive and extremely hard fought game that unfortunately didn’t end up in the Mustangs favor. The final score was 17-10 as Kennesaw Mountain could not quite overcome a fourteen point deficit to begin the game.

Regardless of the outcome, there are many positive things to look at concerning the Kennesaw Mountain football team:

First off, the defense, lead by seniors Brycen Colon and Carson Lake, was stout and held Sprayberry to a three-point second half. They played with energy and aggression and were clearly ready for the challenges Sprayberry presented.

Second, running back Gregory Martinez was impressive and managed to score an impressive touchdown late into the second quarter.

And finally, Sophomore kicker Baylor Cantrell was outstanding. He not only kicked an impressive field goal in the third quarter, but also kicked a very impressive onside kick that unfortunately landed in the Yellow Jacket’s hands.

The next Kennesaw Mountain Mustang game is at home on Friday, September 4 against Mount View. Come join the student section and cheer your Mustangs on!