Filed under Student Life

American Red Cross Club

Back to Article
Back to Article

American Red Cross Club

This school year, junior Kendall Colenbaugh began working closely with the American Red Cross to create a club chapter at Kennesaw Mountain HS. The Red Cross club is an extension of the local Atlanta Red Cross Chapter and helps students get involved while providing life-saving services to people within the community. When asked why she wanted to start the club, Kendall said, “I was truly inspired by the amazing work that the American Red Cross does for our entire country and I wanted to amplify their efforts and focus more towards our community”. The club held its first meeting in November 2018 and still meets every other Tuesday morning in Ms. Youngster’s room. One of the amazing benefits of joining the club is that all of its members have the opportunity to become an official Red Cross volunteer, giving them service hours and a leadership opportunity for college applications while simultaneously bettering people’s lives. All official member are recognized by the organization as a whole and can 

So far, the club has participated in several activities available to them from the Red Cross. The activities they participate in are monitored and created by the American Red Cross organization and can be found on their website. The first projects was an emergency preparedness kit drive. The club partnered with Kennesaw Mountain and Awtrey Middle School to collect items such as flashlights, ponchos, toilet paper, non-perishable food, and whistles. Next, the club made appreciation cards for veterans and delivered them. Finally, the club went to the American Red Cross facility in Douglasville, GA (see below). While there the members toured the facility and helped package more emergency preparedness kits to be sent across the state. The club’s goal is to host an official blood drive at Kennesaw Mountain and get more students involved in the organization. Contact Kendall or Ms. Younker if you would be interested in getting involved!

The emergency preparedness kits packaged and ready to be shipped

Kendall Colenbaugh (President) and Sami Chambers (Secretary) at the Douglasville facility. Sami said, “I really loved going behind the scenes and seeing how large non-profit organizations function. I think this was a really beneficial opportunity for our club to get involved”.