Filed under News

Apple Launches iPhone XR, XS, and XS Max

Back to Article
Back to Article

On September 12th, 2018, Apple hosted their special “Gather Round” event at the Steve Jobs Theater. At the event, Apple CEO Tim Cook took the stage to introduce the new Apple Watch Series 4 and the three new flagship iPhone models: iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR.  Two of the models—iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max—as well as the Apple Watch Series 4 are available for pre-order on September 14th and hit the shelves on September 21st. The iPhone XR will be released later in October.

The iPhone XR in comparison to the iPhone X, which has a 6.1-inch LCD display—Apple is calling it ‘Liquid Retina—and an aluminum and glass body instead of the stainless steel and glass. It also comes in a wider variety of colors: white, black, blue, yellow, coral and (PRODUCT)RED. The iPhone XR has a single rear camera rather than dual rear cameras like the iPhone X and the new XS and XS Max. All three new phones have a new A12 Bionic processor, which Apple claims is 15% faster than last year’s A11 chip in the iPhone X. The new Apple Watch Series 4 has a 30% larger display, thinner design, and more fitness and health features, Apple COO Jeff Williams called it, “…an intelligent guardian for your health.”

In addition to the new iPhone and Apple Watch hardware, Apple also released new Apple Watch bands, new iPhone XS and XS Max cases, and trimmed its iPhone lineup. Apple also released iOS 12, tvOS 12, macOS Mojave, and watchOS 5.

But the launch of these new models comes at a hefty price: the iPhone SE and iPhone 6s are no longer available to purchase directly. The iPhone X is also no longer available through Apple, with the iPhone XS taking its place in the lineup. To make up for the fact, Apple has shifted pricing on its older iPhone models down, with the SE at $349 and the 7 at $449.