Historic Wins in the 2018 Midterm Elections

One thing can be said about the 2018 midterm elections: it’s gonna go down in the history books.

All across the nation, elected officials in nearly every branch of government are making history in firsts for women, the LGBT community, Native Americans, Muslims, and all other minority groups. Here are a few of the victories.

LGBT 
Newly-elected Jared Polis of Colorado is the first openly gay man to be elected governor. Chris Pappas will be the first openly gay congressman from New Hampshire, while Sharice Davids is not only the first openly LGBT congressperson from Kansas, but the first Native American woman to be elected to Congress. And while not a first, incumbent Gov. Kate Brown, the first bisexual governor in U.S. history, retained her seat in Oregon.

People of Color
Sharice Davids shares the title of first Native American woman elected to Congress, along with Debra Haaland of New Mexico. Rashida Tlaib and Ilhan Omar of Michigan and Minnesota will be the first two Muslim women in Congress. Omar is also the first Somali-American and first Muslim refugee to be elected to Congress.

For the first time in US history, more than 20 black women will serve in Congress. Massachusetts and Connecticut will be sending African-American women to Congress for the first time with the wins of Ayanna Pressley and Jahana Hayes. In Illinois,  Lauren Underwood pulled off a victory in a predominantly white and solidly Republican district, becoming one of the youngest black candidates elected to Congress. Lucy McBath, a gun control advocate whose son was murdered in 2012, won in Georgia’s Sixth District, flipping a seat that had been in Republican hands for nearly four decades.

And Texas, a state that is nearly 40% Latino, has elected its first two Latina congresswomen: Sylvia Garcia and Veronica Escobar.

Women
Iowa will be sending its first two women to the House—Abby Finkenauer and Cindy Axne. South Dakota and Maine have elected their first female governors: Kristi Noem and Janet Mills, respectively. And Marsha Blackburn will become the first female senator from Tennessee,  defeating Phil Bredesen. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s win in New York makes her the youngest woman ever elected to the House of Representatives, at age 29.

With so many wins for women, Congress will also be more female than ever before. A record-breaking 100 women have been elected to the House and 12 to the Senate, bringing the total to at least 117 women overall in the 116th Congress.