Georgia’s Gubernatorial Race Still Undecided

What's Happening in Georgia's Gubernatorial Race?

Back to Article
Back to Article

The polls have been closed for three days but the Georgia Gubernatorial’s Race still hasn’t been officially called. Kemp leads Democrat Stacey Abrams, with 50.3% of the vote, with many ballots still left to count. If Kemp’s share drops below 50%, the contest would automatically go to a run-off on December 4.

“Brian Kemp is 25,622 votes above the threshold for a runoff election. Twenty-five thousand votes of nearly 4 million cast are at issue in this race,” Abrams campaign manager Lauren Groh-Wargo said on Thursday. “By (Kemp’s) own admission, there are at least 25,000 outstanding votes, and hundreds if not thousands of more that we are learning about and discovering every day.”

A new lawsuit in Dougherty County alleges that voters had a delay in the distribution and processing of absentee ballots that began over the summer and was compounded by the effects of Hurricane Michael, which struck in October.

“We have reports of ballots never showing up, or being mis-delivered, and there was an incredible backlog,” Kurt Kastorf, a member of the Abrams litigation team, told reporters. “The county was continuing to send ballots at least as late as last week.”

As the dispute over uncounted ballot grows, Kemp has pushed for Abrams to concede, having already declared victory on Wednesday and on Thursday morning talked about his transition with the current governor, Republican Nathan Deal, by his side. Following Kemp’s resignation as secretary of state, a move that Democrats pushed for during the campaign amid accusations his office was trying to suppress the minority vote. The certification must occur by 5 PM on Tuesday.

The Kemp campaign has argued that there are not enough outstanding ballots to force a run-off. “Based on counts released by the Secretary of State’s office, Brian Kemp’s margin is so large that the number of provisional ballots and overseas ballots will not change his Election Day victory,” Cody Hall, the Kemp campaign’s press secretary, said in a statement. “Simply put, it is mathematically impossible for Stacey Abrams to win or force a run-off election.” The sentiment has been echoed by many Georgia Republicans and conservative leaders, even the President has weighed in on the election.