2017: The Year of Trump

In the United States, it has been a rollercoaster of events for both sides of the street. In early 2017, Trump was inaugurated into the office of President of the United States. He came into office with one of the most ambitious conservative agendas in the history of Republican presidents. To begin his Presidency he instantly tackled the Travel Ban promise. He placed a ban on immigrants from Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, and Yemen with Executive Order 13769. To follow up this rather controversial executive action, he withdrew the U.S. from the Paris Agreement on Climate Change. This will not be taking effect until 2020; ironically several days after the 2020 Presidential Election.
One of Trump’s biggest promises to his base was that he would build a wall on the border of Mexico and the United States. This came with controversy as to how he might pay for it, but he claimed that the Mexican government would be the one forking the bill. President Trump put forth many attempts to fix the way that Obamacare (The Affordable Care Act) was laid out. He attempted many revisions and eventually began to attempt an all-out repeal of the system in order to replace it with one of his own. This year wouldn’t be 2017 without the constant Trump vs Kim Jong Un battles on Twitter. Trump is a very social media-centric president and he used his large following to throw insults at the North Korean government and their leader, Kim Jong Un. He dubbed him “Rocket Man” in a rather infamous Tweeting feud. Just recently, about mid to late November, Trump got his penultimate tax reform passed. At the time of writing this, the bill is in reconciliation and awaits further development and approval from the House and the Senate. This reform will provide tax cuts to the upper class in hopes that with the saved money the upper class will be able to provide further jobs for the lower two classes. Overall, Trump’s presidency so far has been a different one, and we will see how he goes about running the free world going forward.

About the Writer
Aaron Smith, News Editor

Aaron Smith is a student a magnet student at Kennesaw Mountain High School. He enjoys school and seeks knowledge in as many fields as possible. For example, he has taken many classes involving many different fields of study from Culinary to Biology and Chemistry to Literature. He is currently interning at Kennesaw State University under the Computer Science and Information Technology departments. He is performing research with an EEG reader (reads brain wave signals from the human brain). He plans to attend KSU in the Fall of 2018 after graduating from KMHS in Spring of 2018. He loves to write about many things from the serious topical news of the week to the not so serious reviews of television and movies.