Filed under Student Life

Dauset Trails Orienteering Meet

On October 14th, 2017, Kennesaw Mountain’s NJROTC Orienteering Team placed 4th overall at the Dauset Trails Orienteering Meet. Orienteering is land navigation, where – with the use of a map – a runner locates a series of points through the trails or woods, depending on difficulty assigned by color. Think of it as something akin to a scavenger hunt. The faster you complete the course the better your score. At the event, every team is given specific start times for each cadet, with times spread out to prevent any cheating in the form of conferring with teammates and competitors.

Training for the meet began in August and consisted of running long distance, sprints, hill sprints, and other cardiovascular exercises. Some cadets trained through running on their own, often going over maps from previous meets to identify and correct any mistakes.

At the meet, the team had a great start and finished with their chins up, placing 4th overall while the yellow team got 3rd and unfortunately our orange team disqualified. Orienteering Commander Michael Miles commented, “We did pretty good placing wise, especially with one of our teams disqualifying.” Individually, Cadet Lieutenant Commander Lambros received a medal for placing in the top ten for Orange and Cadet Seaman Apprentice Coverdale and Cadet Seaman Recruit Ferguson placed in the top seven.