• July 137/16 : Mustang Way

Filed under Opinions

The Dangers of Fast Fashion

If you’re anything like me, you love shopping for a good deal. Everytime I step foot in the mall, stores like Forever 21 and H&M are the places I spend most of my money. When something caught my eye but the price didn’t, I turned to the internet and spent hours online shopping for the best deal. It’s not until I asked myself “how could this clothing be so cheap” that I actually educated myself about fast fashion and how it’s not only morally wrong, but also bad for the economy.

Believe it or not, fast fashion has been around for a very long time. It first began in the 90’s with a store called Benetton. They focused on putting out bright colored, “trendy” clothes, but for an affordable price. Since then, more and more stores are involved with fast fashion; stores like ZARA, TopShop, ASOS and Forever21 all participate. So what exactly is fast fashion and how is it destroying our economy? Fast Fashion refers to whenfashion retaillers expedite the production process in order to get new and popular trends out on the market.

The fight to end fast fashion started on April 24th 2013, when the Rana Plaza factory in  Bangledash collapsed. The result of this left 1.123 people dead and almost 3000 injured. Despite the cracks and infrastructure issues in the building, workers were forced to come to work, and risked losing their pay which resulted in their death. 29 famous clothing brands were found in the building that collapsed; five years later there has been little change done. Sweatshops, child labor, and unfair pay still play a heavy role in the fashion business. There have been some improvements since the tragedy took place; more brands are opening up about how their clothes are made and factories have become more safe. Even with these changes, the sad truth still remains, the people who made your $10 crop top worked an 18 hour shift, only receive two days off a month and receive no lunch breaks; so I ask you, is it really worth it?

I’ll admit, I’m not perfect when it comes to avoiding fast fashion; there are some days where I see an adorable outfit in the Forever 21 window and can’t help but give them my money. Regardless, I’ve found myself learning about the hidden costs of my favorite affordable clothing items and try to shop at stores that won’t hurt others or the environment! So what can you do to help? Start by asking your favorite retailers #WhoMadeMyClothes? By educating yourself on the dangers of fast fashion you are not only becoming an informed consumer, but you’re also the conscience of huge brand name companies. The most important thing you can do is to pay attention to which stores you give business too. “Thrifting” has becoming a lot more popular in recent years; shopping at thrift stores and second hand stores are great alternatives if you’re looking to break the bad habit. Just educating yourself on the dangers of fast fashion can make a huge difference. Anybody and everybody can be apart of the fashion revolution, so what are you waiting for?