Filed under Featured, Student Life

Alumna Christina Thomas Earns Presitigious Scholarship from GOGO Charters

Back to Article
Back to Article

GOGO Scholar Winner Christina Thomas

GOGO Scholar Winner Christina Thomas

GOGO Scholar Winner Christina Thomas

GOGO Scholar Winner Christina Thomas

Founded by CEO Armir Harris founded in 2013, GOGO Charters is a charter bus rental service based in Atlanta and operates in over 200 cities across the United States. Harris, an immigrant from Albania, has made it his goal to give hope to future refugees, immigrants and first-generation U.S. citizens in search of the American Dream and thus the GOGO Charters National Scholarship for Immigrants and Refugees was initiated in early 2017. The scholarship is $10,000 per year for up to one academic year, split evenly between each semester, and can be used at any accredited public, private, technical college or university in the United States with a minimum of one award given per year.

Christina Thomas, Class of 2017, was chosen as the winner of the GOGO Charters National Scholarship for Immigrants and Refugees. Born in India, Christina Thomas graduated from Kennesaw Mountain High School and is a rising freshman at the University of Georgia, where she will pursue a degree in genetics and eventually a career in neonatology.

Christina served as co-president of Kennesaw Mountain’s Future Healthcare Providers while completing a medical internship at Wellstar Kennestone Hospital in Marietta, Georgia. “I knew I wanted to be a doctor, but I didn’t know what kind of doctor I was going to be. When internship choices were announced, I took a chance and did neonatal. I loved every minute of it. That’s when I knew.”

Christina ended up playing a crucial role in implementing the Golden Hour Initiative, which ensures that the hospital staff is doing everything possible to give an infant the best possible chance at survival during their first two hours of life. “We brought the initiative to Kennestone, and I helped establish the protocol. I ran statistical tests to see what we could do better.”

“Some of the most heartbreaking moments happen in neonatology,” Thomas explained. “You have to prepare yourself for that. But the feeling you get when a parent finally gets to hold their baby and take their baby home— that makes it all worth it.”