Filed under Featured, Sports

Mustangs Sting Spraybarry Jackets with a 31-15 Victory

The Kilt Squad cheers on the Mustangs. K: Will Hunt, M: Justin Cardona, H: Chase Elliot, S: Antonio Delucca

On September 1, 2017, Kennesaw Mountain Mustangs and Sprayberry High School Yellow Jackets met for the first game of Kennesaw’s 2017-2018 football season. The annual California Dreaming Bowl was hosted by Kennesaw Mountain at home.

Before the game, Kennesaw’s Chamber Chorus sung an amazing rendition of the national anthem and the Alma Mater. The Kilt Squad and the student section were fierce with a black out, all wearing the black tee shirts distributed by KMHS earlier in the day. The student second section played “Get Low” and got lit. Allegedly, some bleachers might need repair from their enthusiastic and spirited participation. Senior Carson Letts pounded out a beat for the students to clap. An unusual tradition that KMHS repeats at kick off every game  is throwing up handfuls of baby powder to start the game in hazy fog.

Said Antonio Delucca, “The rain was bad especially when we were running the flags whenever we scored. We covered the speakers and continued to celebrate.”

Our boys in black and green came out and played a spectacular first quarter. With three minutes remaining, the Mustangs drew first blood thanks to number 24, senior running back, Tony Mack. The first quarter ended 7-0, with Kennesaw leading.

The second quarter began with a touchdown for Kennesaw. Sprayberry finally got on the board with a fourth down conversion for a touchdown, making the score 14-7. The two teams clashed, butting heads, with neither team gaining any more points, until #21 junior running back, Keyon Brooks, returned an amazing kick off for a touchdown, raising the score to 21-7.

Sprayberry retaliated fiercely and was able to score and get a two point conversion. Our very own #7, quarterback Jarrett Guest, junior, scored pushing us closer towards victory. The second quarter ended 28-15 with Kennesaw in the lead.

During halftime, both Sprayberry and Kennesaws’ band’s came onto the field. They each gave spectacular performances.

The third quarter was a grueling standstill with both teams fighting to put points on the board. Late in the fourth quarter, Kennesaw was able to secure a field goal, making the final score 31-15. The team was victorious moving their record to 2-0.

Next week, the Mustangs play at Woodstock. Said junior Ayoola Makinde, “It will be a close game but we expect to win.”