Filed under Entertainment

Wonder Woman: Saving More Than Just the Allies

DC Comics made big promises at the start of 2016.  The company hadn’t produced a movie since the June 2013 release of Man of Steel, a film that received mixed reviews among the superhero-loving fan base.  In comparison, rival company Marvel Studios released five new movies in the time between Man of Steel‘s release and the beginning of 2016.  DC Comics knew it needed something monumental to make up for the canyon of time separating Man of Steel from any new releases, so they promised their enormous fan base massive films in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice and Suicide Squad to bridge that gap.  Both films dramatically failed to please, receiving 27% and 25% on Rotten Tomatoes respectively, and left viewers wondering if DC Comics would ever be able to reasonably compete with the long line of consistent blockbusters being produced by Marvel.

Patty Jenkins, the director of Wonder Woman, was granted the opportunity to change movie viewers minds.  The release of Wonder Woman in June of 2017 garnered more praise from fans than DC Comics had received in a long time.  Wonder Woman currently holds the highest Rotten Tomatoes rating (92%) and Metacritic rating (76) for a DC Comics film since The Dark Knight was released in the summer of 2008.  Wonder Woman is being heralded as the greatest movie of the year and causing upcoming DC Comics movie Justice League to undergo reshoots to include more of the legendary heroine.  It is winning the success that DC Comics desperately needed in order to maintain relevancy in the competitive superhero film industry.

DC Comics appears to be far from done with Gal Gadot’s portrayal of Wonder Woman.  She is slated to appear in both Justice League and Justice League Part Two as DC Comics attempts to build the massive superhero filled universe that has brought Marvel success for so many years.  Wonder Woman represents a key piece of the foundation for the diverse universe being created by DC Comics that may give the company the confidence to hammer on ahead despite its stumbles in the past.  If DC Comics hopes to truly flourish, however, their new universe will have to be built off a wealth of well played dynamic heroes, not just Wonder Woman.

Think about it.  Marvel is overflowing with rich characters.  From Iron Man to Captain America to Thor, the Avenger squad is chalked full of fantastic heroes that succeed in their own films as well as the bigger Marvel universe films, such as Avengers: Age of Ultron.  Fans initially fall in love with the character during the hero’s own movie, usually including an origin story, and then excitedly pack the theaters to see them battle alongside their other favorite superheroes.  If DC Comics can get their fans as energized about Wonder Woman and Batman as Marvel’s fans are about Iron Man and Captain America through the production of solid films, filling theaters for bigger universe films such as Justice League will be simple.  DC Comics has one fan favorite hero in Wonder Woman.  Now it’s time for the company to introduce and develop other characters for the fans to fall in love with

Wonder Woman will be remembered for many unique reasons.  It was the first successful big budget full-length feature film for the character.  Director Patty Jenkins became the first female director of a studio superhero film.  The movie marks the first superhero film centered around a female lead from either Marvel or DC Studios since Marvel’s Elektra, which was released in January of 2005.  Perhaps most important to DC Comics President Diane Nelson, however, is that Wonder Woman will be remembered as the film that restored fans’ faith in a once great company and drew DC Comics closer to the high bar set by Marvel.