What is ROTC?

Matthew Tyler, Contributor

Here at the Mountain there’s an outstanding Reserve Officer’s Training Corps (ROTC) program – but what is ROTC really about?

ROTC is not a military recruitment tool, but rather a fun character building program, built to help students succeed as they progress after high school. The main goal of the program is to instill beneficial values in cadets and provide a community to belong to throughout ones high school career. “It instills the utmost citizen values of youth,” said Chief Petty Officer Josh Medina.

Additionally, there’s plenty of ROTC teams such as Athletic, Academic, or Drill, and every team is its own family. When asked about his unit, Cadet Lieutenant Junior Grade Jordan Richard said, “We are a diverse group of cadets that strive to enhance our leadership skills and positively impact our community.” The teams have competed in regional and even national championships. Last year, the Orienteering team traveled to Seattle and Los Angeles to compete in a land navigation race. After high school, if you are looking for a career in the military, ROTC is the best way to jump start your future. Whether you want to enlist or commission, you’ll be ahead of the game when you enter the service.