Mustang Tennis Reaches Sweet 16

Noah Martin, Contributor

The Mustang Tennis program has been one of great success throughout the past few years, with the girls finishing 2nd in the state in 2015. The boys’ team is led by Head Coach Phillip Matthews and girls’ team is led by Head Coach Connie Bailey.

The 2017 season has been an adjusting period for both the boys and girls teams. Both teams are very young, having only one senior on each team. When asked about some of the accomplishments throughout the season and how her last season was at The Mountain, the only senior girl, Lauren Jeffery, said, “I think we had a great season, we made it to the Sweet Sixteen round in the state tournament. We had big wins against North Cobb and Hillgrove during the regular season. I couldn’t have asked for a better group of girls to play with during my last season.”

Kelli Osajima, second year Varsity sophomore, has been a vital part of her team this year, showing promising results for the upcoming seasons of her next two years at Kennesaw Mountain. Kelli is not only worried about individually improving but improving the team bond, saying, “The girls are wonderful. Not only do they make great teammates, but great friends too. We’ve really bonded this past season and I think we can go even further in years to come.”

Not only are the girls a strong force but the boys are showing results of high improvement despite the young team they have. Griffin Collier, junior, is a key component in doubles commented on how the season went, saying, “The season went really well despite losing a lot of seniors last year. I am excited for next year because we have a young team right now and can only improve and do better next season.”

The boys’ team was constantly practicing throughout the season to better improve their skills for their tough matches. Doubles partners David Oyola and Matt Rollins were quite the dynamic duo as they dominated their opponents throughout the season.

Although both teams are filled with very young players, they are beginning to improve and form a stronger bond with one another. This bond being formed is only strengthening the teams and may result in the Tennis Program bringing a State Championship to the Mountain.

Congratulations to both the boys and girls teams on yet another season of dominating the courts in every match—Kennesaw Mountain is looking forward to another run at the state tournament next year for both teams!