KMHS’s First Girl Hockey Players

Morgan Alwardt, Sports Editor

Ice hockey is a rare sport to find here in the south—it’s even rarer to find girls who play. Here at Kennesaw Mountain High School, we have two: Morgan Alwardt (junior) and Lexi Nguyen (freshman). Even rarer than having two girls at the same school is to have them both play on the same team. This past fall hockey season, both Morgan and Lexi were teammates on the Kissimmee Lady Vipers.

The Vipers travelled to tournaments all over the eastern U.S., including Boston, Philadelphia, and Detroit. Lexi was set to join the Lady Vipers in September at the New York tournament, but since Hurricane Matthew prevented the other girls from leaving Florida, they had to withdraw from the tournament.

The Lady Vipers made a run at nationals in March, beating the Carolina Eagles but falling short to the Northern Virginia Ice Dogs. They both had a great season with the Lady Vipers and look forward to where their hockey careers take them next season!

Morgan Alwardt

Morgan Alwardt is a senior in the KMHS magnet program. She plays travel ice hockey for the Kissimmee Lady Vipers and plays tennis for KMHS. Morgan loves the Bruins, Red Sox, and Patriots and is hoping to attend Boston University when she goes off to college. She enjoys listening to classic rock and is also a huge Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit fan.

Latest posts by Morgan Alwardt (see all)