KMHS’s First Dodgeball Tournament

Morgan Alwardt, Sports Editor

On Friday, May 12, 2017 Kennesaw Mountain High School held its first ever student faculty dodgeball tournament. All proceeds raised went to breast cancer research and medical screenings. For the first tournament there was quite the turnout, both in participants and spectators. There were 15 total teams: 12 student and 3 faculty.

Team Fran, one of the three faculty teams consisting of Coach Goldstein, Julie Sharpe, Donna Davis, Jenny Moore, Kevin Williams, and Michael Clark, was named in memory of Coach Goldstein’s mother, Francine Goldstein.

One of the best games of the night was between the Lady Laxers (Michy Ramos, Liza Lampros, Addi Goede, Hannah Forehand, Emma Hutchins, and Jenna Turrentine) and Team Carmean (Coach Carmean, Coach Mayr, Coach Morrison, Coach Mater, Kristy Younker, and Coach Stanley), with Team Carmean pulling out the win.

The best dressed team went to Sophia Suri, Jack Ozmer, Jack Froistad, David Oyola, Ian Cupello, and Larry Meisner with their USA inspired uniforms.

The two teams in the championship were the Purple Cobras (Ryland Goede, Will Corey, Grant Moody, Parker Campbell, Cole Garrett, and Matthew Siragusa) and the Sitting Ducks (Matthew Murowski, Connor Truono, Chris Birchfield, Catherine Wright, Hannah Glass, and Jason Piotter). In the end, the Purple Cobras pulled out the win and took home the giant trophy along with Prom tickets and parking passes.

The Dodgefathers (Nick Haddad, Rex Amick, Brandon Lucas, Wes Hyman, Landon Ebuña, and Spencer Comstock) had an amazing comeback by Nick Haddad against four other opponents to make the championship, but sadly came in third place after a close match with the Sitting Ducks.

Altogether, the tournament raised several thousand dollars to support the cure for breast cancer. Additionally, Chuy’s is donating 10% of their profits on May 24th to breast cancer research. Thank you to Abby Dees for planning such an incredible night of fun and competition—we can’t wait for next year’s tournament!

Morgan Alwardt

Morgan Alwardt is a senior in the KMHS magnet program. She plays travel ice hockey for the Kissimmee Lady Vipers and plays tennis for KMHS. Morgan loves the Bruins, Red Sox, and Patriots and is hoping to attend Boston University when she goes off to college. She enjoys listening to classic rock and is also a huge Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit fan.

Latest posts by Morgan Alwardt (see all)