The Silvano Brothers and Boys’ Soccer

Wes Hyman, Contributor

Brothers Erik and Christian Silvano have competed on the KMHS Varsity soccer team for the last three years, together scoring more than 40 goals for the men’s soccer program. The connection between the brothers is something only found between two athletes with years of practice perfecting their skills. During most games, fans see Erik (center back) kicking the ball 45 yards over the opposing defense to Christin (left winger) who runs on with the ball to complete the attack with a shot on goal.

The Silvano family is well known within the KMHS soccer program for their deadly range and crazy accuracy on attack. Their oldest brother, Manny Silvano, who graduated in 2012, made Sportscenter’s Top 10 with a near 50 yard game winner to the top corner of the net.

Against Marietta Christian School, Christian buried two shots, both from over 20 yards away, to give the Mustangs the lead and the eventual win in the Mustang’s pivotal 3-1 victory over their region rival. This victory secured the team’s 1st place position in the region, giving the KMHS men’s Varsity soccer program their second consecutive region championship.

The Mustangs continued their steamroll with a 4-0 victory over 7A opponent Camden County High School in the first round of the playoffs. But the team couldn’t celebrate with the game against Meadowcreek High School up next, knowing it would not be an easy game, they held their hopes high nonetheless. Head Coach Danny Deplanche said after the victory over Camden that “this is one of the strongest teams we’ve had in at least 10 years, and I have great confidence that we can make a run in the playoffs.”

The Mustangs moved on to the second round of the state playoffs, but their season came to an end when they were defeated by Meadowcreek High School by a close score of 3-2. Next season, the Mustangs will once again continue to be competitive in a talented region with many standout players and hopefully will win their third consecutive region championship.