2017 Beauty and the Beast Movie Review

Morgan Alwardt, Sports Editor

The March 17th release of Disney’s live action “Beauty and the Beast” was one of the most anticipated movies of 2017. If you haven’t seen it yet, beware of spoilers ahead.

The song “Evermore” was by far my favorite song of the entire movie. It is the only song sung by the Beast and it comes right after he releases Belle to return to her village. You can feel the Beast’s emotion in his voice when he sings “wasting in my lonely tower” and “I know she’ll never leave me.” It was a very powerful and emotional song, and it was nice to see a different perspective of the movie that we didn’t get in the original.

My only critique was of the end battle where Gaston is fighting the Beast. In the original, Gaston is constantly trying to woo Belle, but is rejected every time. Belle claims that the Beast is harmless and Gaston realizes that she is in love with the Beast, so he rallies the townspeople to kill the Beast because he is a “threat.” His jealousy of Belle loving someone else prompts him to fight the Beast, intending to kill him. However, in the new movie, Gaston ties Maurice up in the woods to die, but he escapes and returns to town to confront Gaston. To save himself, Gaston argues that Maurice belongs in an asylum for his accusations about attempted murder and a beast. When Belle uses the mirror to show that the Beast is real, Gaston needs to get the heat off of him, so he persuades the town to kill the Beast because he is a danger to the village, and will thus restore Gaston’s good graces with the town. This completely changes the plot of the movie because he is no longer fighting the Beast because of Belle. This didn’t have the same effect it was supposed to and I didn’t like how far it strayed from the original.

Besides that the movie was absolutely amazing, and I would definitely recommend seeing it ASAP.

Morgan Alwardt

Morgan Alwardt is a senior in the KMHS magnet program. She plays travel ice hockey for the Kissimmee Lady Vipers and plays tennis for KMHS. Morgan loves the Bruins, Red Sox, and Patriots and is hoping to attend Boston University when she goes off to college. She enjoys listening to classic rock and is also a huge Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit fan.

Latest posts by Morgan Alwardt (see all)