KMHS Swim Dominates State

Morgan Alwardt, Sports Editor

As usual, the KMHS swim team wrapped up another successful season for the 2016-2017 school year. The swim team’s biggest rival is by far Harrison High School, but once again the Mustangs defeated the Hoyas at KMHS’s the dual meet.

The swim team is a very close-knit group that is very well bonded. Before swim meets, everyone gathers at one of the senior’s houses for team dinners. People bring pasta, bread, drinks, and dessert, and they all play Just Dance—even Head Coach David Reason gets into it!

The big meets of the season were the Cobb Quads, the Savannah Invite, the Harrison vs KMHS Meet, the Twin Challenge Meet, the County Meet, and the State Meet.

The 2017 State Meet was held at Georgia Tech’s swim facility on February 3rd and 4th, and the state team consisted of: Gabby Auerbach, Addie Rose Bullock, Justin Cardona (dive), Nick Carlin, Jake Carson, Amanda Charleston, Connor Haigh, Braden Hester (dive), Allison Hunter, Celine Jarvis, Chelsey Kelly, Molly Layde, Zach Lowe, Jack Lucas, Isabella Morin, Becca Parker, Chelsea Pechenino, Adam Peterson, Scott Peterson, Megan Peterson, Kevin Ross, Bowen Spackman, Aidan Walsh, Jessica Ware, Jonathan Woodman, and Caitlyn Yap.

As a team, the girls placed 10th overall at the State Meet. Additionally, the girls placed 4th in the 400 free relay and 9th in the medley relay. Amanda Charleston, Addie Rose Bullock, Gabby Auerbach, Connor Haigh, Allison Hunter, Molly Layde, and Jessica Ware all placed as individual finalists in various events.

Congratulations to Coach Reason and the swim team on an outstanding performance at the State Meet—they will really miss all the seniors!

About the Writer
Morgan Alwardt, Editor in Chief
Morgan Alwardt is a senior in the KMHS magnet program. She plays travel ice hockey for the Carolina Lady Eagles. Morgan serves as the Editor in Chief of the Mustang Messenger and is also a Co-President of STARS. Morgan loves the Bruins, Red Sox, and Patriots and is hoping to attend either Boston University or...