Girls’ Lacrosse Wins Region

Natalia O'Neill, Contributor

Coming into the 2017 season, the girls’ Varsity lacrosse team didn’t know how the season was going to play out. After most of the team’s starters had graduated over the past couple years, this year’s team was young, comprised of many new underclassmen, and they didn’t know how well they would work together. The Varsity team welcomed four freshmen who played a pivotal role in the team’s success: Lexi Nguyen, Abby Quain, Sami Chambers, and Sophia Rodriguez, to replace its three seniors: Gaby Rodriguez, Natalia O’Neill, and Julia Thomas.

The first game of the season, the team lost to Wesleyan by only one point, and it wasn’t clear whether the team would be as good as past years. However, the team finished their regular season at 9th in the entire state of Georgia for the 6A-7A division, with a record of 13 wins, 2 losses, and 1 tiethe best record any KMHS girls’ lacrosse team has ever had. In addition to making history with the best record, they also became region champions for the second year in a row.

Some notable wins of this season were against Lambert High School, where the team won 7-5 and against Pope High School, where the girl’s pulled out a 9-8 win in overtime. They also beat past rivals like Harrison High School (18-3) and Collins Hill High School (21-2). They won their first playoff game against Allatoona High School 15-4, which advanced the girls to the Sweet Sixteen for the second time in school history. However, the team fell short to Cambridge High School in the next game, finishing their post-season with record of 14 wins, 3 losses, and 1 tie.

Five members of the team were nominated in the 2017 Georgia Girls Lacrosse All-State Teams: Allie Dreyer (midfielder) won 1st team, and Michy Ramos (goalie), Hannah Forehand (defender), Abby Quain (midfielder), and Julia Thomas (attacker) all received honorable mentions.

Congrats again to the girls’ lacrosse team—Head Coach Kristina Mater and Coach Kristy Younker were very pleased with the results of this season and are looking forward to the upcoming season.