Mustang Volleyball Dominates the Court

Morgan Alwardt, Sports Editor

The KMHS volleyball team welcomed several new faces to both the Varsity team and the KMHS volleyball program for the 2016 season. Led by junior captains Allie Dreyer and Lizzy Born, the Mustangs finished the season with an impressive record of 29 wins and 20 losses.

Head Coach Michael Loyd decided that the best way to welcome senior Tova Kleinschmidt, junior Rachel Boyd, freshman Addi Goede, and past JV players to the team was to have a full day of team bonding and building at a ropes course in early August.

KMHS had many successful game days against many different opponents, but no one caused a bigger rivalry among teams than when the Mustangs took on the Hillgrove Hawks. They won some and lost some, but Hillgrove definitely raised the game and level of competition and helped prepare the team to compete at the state playoffs.

This year the Mustangs were thankful not to suffer any major injuries like the previous 2015 season, but outside hitter Addi Goede was out for a short part of the season with a slight back injury.

The Mustangs’ season ended way too soon after only reaching the first round of the state playoffs. Although the team as a whole did not win, three Mustangs were recognized for their individual talents and contributions to the team. Outside hitter Meghan Cobelli was awarded First Team All-Area, and both setter Allie Dreyer and middle hitter Lizzy Born were awarded Second Team All-Area.

Congratulations to Coach Loyd and the Lady Mustangs on another successful volleyball season here at The Mountain. We are all looking forward to an even better season in 2017!