Homecoming Game vs Hillgrove: Greek Out

Morgan Alwardt, Sports Editor

Just like last year, our homecoming game theme was Greek out. The student section was filled with togas, gold, and sandals as we took on the Hillgrove Hawks at last Friday’s game.

The first quarter saw little action, ending in a 0-0 score, but there were many close attempts made by both teams.

Just under two minutes into the second quarter, Jalen Jackson scored a touchdown and kicker Jason Pierce got the extra point to put Hillgrove on the board 7-0. Shortly after, the Mustang defense couldn’t prevent Hugh Nelson from reaching the end zone, increasing the Hawks’ lead to 14-0. However, as the quarter was coming to an end, we found out rhythm and decreased their lead to 14-7 with a great run by Gregory Martinez and kick from Baylor Cantrell.

During halftime, the homecoming court was presented and the winners were announced:

Freshman Class Favorite: Evani Patel
Sophomore Class Favorite: Jenna Biggins
Junior Class Favorite: Hannah Lewis
Senior Class Favorite: Taylor White
Homecoming Queen: Archelle Thelemaque

Congratulations to all the ladies who made it onto homecoming court; everyone looked stunning!

Halfway through the third quarter, the Mustangs tied the game 14-14 with a run from Goede and an extra point from Cantrell.

Hillgrove’s Jayle McCollough took back the lead 21-14 at the beginning of the fourth quarter. Minutes after, Nelson scored again but since the Hawks missed the extra point, only building their lead to 27-14. With about four minutes left in the game, Hillgrove scored once again, this time by Chigoziem Okonkwo, making for a tough comeback this late in the game. Just like at the end of the second quarter, this time with only 21 seconds, the Mustangs scored their third touchdown by Dontarius Carter from Jarrett Guest, and instead of the typical extra point kick, Goede went for the two point conversion and succeeded.

Although the final score of 34-22 Hillgrove wasn’t what we Mustangs were hoping for, there was a lot of energy student section and it was a great prelude to festivities that took place at the homecoming dance the following night.

Come out this Friday, October 28 and support your Mustangs at North Paulding and especially don’t forget to the last home game on November 4th against the North Cobb Warriors.