Farewell, “Slide to Unlock”

Kārlis Dambrāns

Kārlis Dambrāns

September 13th, 2016 – the end of an era.

On that fateful Tuesday, just three months after being announced at Apple’s 2016 Worldwide Developers Conference, iOS 10 was released to the public. The new operating system has been live for just about a month now, and it has certainly had quite a varied reception.

After downloading iOS 10, the very first thing I noticed was the new lock screen and yet another pointless font update. Eager to see the hopefully more substantial changes and new features, I swiped left to open my phone…

… and ended up looking at a screen of “widgets”. Never had I felt so betrayed. The iconic “Slide to unlock” was no more, and we were left with a suspiciously Samsung-esque look and rather irritating notification bubbles. (On the bright side, though, these widgets can be customized for quicker access to your frequently used apps, and a swipe to the right now allows for even easier access to the camera, too.)

Upon managing to “Press home to unlock”, I opened up Messages to see its rework. Horror washed over me once again. The once-beloved Emoji keyboard was massacred; we were left with only abominable, soulless creations. Instead of decent Emojis, now I had access to a disturbingly large amount of stickers and GIFs of Donald Trump and Drake. Handwritten and slightly obnoxious “live” messages with different animation sequences from fireworks to balloons were also available.

Maps, Music, News, and Photos received major reworks as well, with Apple seemingly aiming for more simplistic functionality. Plus, for those desperate to open up some more storage space, it’s finally possible to delete the infamous Stocks app among others. What a time to be alive.

All said and done, this is just one “tech savvy”-lacking person passing superficial judgment on iOS’ new look. What are your thoughts on iOS 10? Were you as devastated as the other thousands of users at the sight of the new water gun emoji, or are you too preoccupied mourning the loss of the headphone jack on the iPhone 7? Maybe you could care less and are a die-hard Android user or impatiently awaiting the Google Pixel. Whichever case, feel free to share your opinions in the comments below.