Mustangs Travel the World

Morgan Alwardt, Sports Editor

G’day mate! This past summer on May 31st, Coach Goldstein took 14 students including myself from KMHS and around the southeast down under for two weeks. Our tour began with over 30 hours of flights just to reach our first destination halfway around the world in Cairns, Australia. While there, we spent the entire first day on the Great Barrier Reef where we could have personal guided snorkeling and scuba diving tours with marine biologists and then spend the rest of the time snorkeling as long as we wanted. The day after, everyone in the group had the opportunity to hug and hold an adorable koala since it is illegal in the other five territories in Australia. Most of the group held one in the Kuranda rainforest and the others went to a local casino that doubled as an animal rescue. Our next stop was the beautiful capital of Sydney, Australia. The morning after arrival we were given a bus tour of the city highlights, stopping at Bondi Beach and Mrs. Macquarie’s Chair, and then taking a boat cruise around Sydney Harbor. The next day was even more eventful as we privately toured the Sydney Opera House and then spent the afternoon at the Taronga Zoo where we got to feed and interact with baby kangaroos. After that it was a hop, skip, and a jump (plus an additional 3 hour bus ride) over to Rotorua, New Zealand. The highlights of the “sulfur city” included the Polynesian Sulfur Spa, which is naturally heated by the geothermal activity under the earth, the Agroventures Adventure Park and the luge, and Hobbiton, the movie set of both the Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit trilogies. All in all, this was an amazing trip of a lifetime and I met 13 incredible people who I couldn’t imagine not being in my life now.

¡Pura Vida! During the 2016 February break, Señora Smart and Mrs. Mitchell took 16 students from KMHS and Wheeler to Costa Rica for one week. Señora Smart said about the trip: “Language immersion trips are the best way to retain the language. That is done by travelling to a native country and immersing yourself in the culture. You don’t have a choice but to listen and to use the language to get around the country, so there’s no excuse in not ‘practicing’.” Their journey began in the city of Liberia and then made their way all the way past mountains and rainforests to the beautiful capital of San José where the group was exposed to the culture, cuisine, customs, and language of the region. They also had the opportunity to learn the Salsa and Merengue while experiencing a classic Costa Rican home-cooked meal. After visiting an elementary school and the town of La Fortuna, the group zip lined through a mile of the canopy in the rainforest. Señora Smart, Mrs. Mitchell, and the students “will miss the warm embrace of the Costa Rican people who opened their hearts and their homes to a group of American students who didn’t know what to expect from this journey.” The students all agree that “the natural beauty of Costa Rica is overwhelming and they will never forget the sunsets, the wildlife, the tropical climate, the landscape and, of course, the people of this beautiful country.”

Don’t miss out on any more of these amazing opportunities to see the world. In 2017, Coach Morrison is flying to Greece over the summer, Mrs. Mitchell and Señora Smart are touring Barcelona over spring break, and Coach Goldstein is heading to Costa Rica over the summer.

1 Comment

One Response to “Mustangs Travel the World”

1. Smithb749 on March 26th, 2017 4:51 am

Very neat article post.Much thanks again. Much obliged. kdfefdkeaedcedae

[Reply]

• Mustangs Travel the World

News

KMHS: A STEM Certified School

• Mustangs Travel the World

Student Life

Reach for the STARS

• Mustangs Travel the World

Sports

KMHS Swim Dominates State

• Mustangs Travel the World

Student Life

Mustangs: Building Bridges, Literally

• Mustangs Travel the World

Sports

KMHS Signing Day

• Mustangs Travel the World

Sports

5,6,7,8…Who Do We Appreciate?

• Mustangs Travel the World

Sports

Mustang Volleyball Dominates the Court

• Mustangs Travel the World

Student Life

K-Side Kanines

• Mustangs Travel the World

Student Life

Kennesaw Mountain Drama Earns State Title

• Mustangs Travel the World

Featured

Rest In Peace, Vine

Mustangs Travel the World