• 6/20 - 6/22: Youth Football Camp (6:30pm - 8:30pm)

• 6/19 - 6/23: Boys & Girls Mustang Soccer Camp (8am - 12pm [Half Day]) (8am - 4pm [Full Day]), Ages 6 - 13

• 6/5 - 6/8: 17th Annual Mustang Basketball Camp (9am - 3pm), Grades 1st - 9th

• 6/5 - 6/8: Mustang Volleyball Camp (4:30pm - 7:30pm)

Where Are They Now?

Meredith Johns, News Editor

Some stories dominate our news cycles for months, and then fade when a more exciting event comes to our attention. These stories, however, do not stop developing because the news devotes less coverage to them. A few of these stories, the Ebola crisis, Edward Snowden, and the Deepwater Horizon oil spill, are readdressed with updated information.

As of May 2016, Ebola has caused tens of thousands of deaths. The outbreak of the disease in West Africa, beginning in 2014, was called by many the biggest story of that year. Over the course of 2015, the disease with a 50% fatality rate was overshadowed by flashier stories. Despite the decline in news stories, the crisis continued to affect those in Liberia and Guinea until half way through this year. In June of this year, health officials declared the end of the largest and most complex Ebola outbreak in world history, though the populations of the countries impacted will continue to feel the effects in years to come.

Edward Snowden has various titles. Some refer to him as a traitor and others a patriot. In 2013, he leaked classified information he encountered through his position at the National Security Agency. He fled to Hong Kong and then Russia, where he remains hidden. He has been charged by the United States government on two accounts under the Espionage Act and remains a criminal at large. Though a few years ago there were several months with constant headlines about Snowden, recently little has been discussed about the situation. His asylum in Russia is set to expire in the near future, and the topic will soon become relevant again. With it, the discussion of what is public information and what is not will be readdressed.

The BP Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill happened over six years ago. In 2016, research by federal and private groups discovered that the largest oil spill in U.S. history was bigger than previously thought. More coastlines, in the states of Florida, Alabama, Texas, Louisiana, and Mississippi, were affected than the breaking news of 2010 had suggested. To this day, 30% of the hypothesized spill is missing, with the possible effects of that unaccounted oil untold. Environmental leaders insist that marine wildlife continues to suffer, and that the need for environmental solutions to industry problems will be a growing conversation in the future.

1 Comment

One Response to “Where Are They Now?”

1. Daquan Jaqual on March 13th, 2017 9:50 am

Ay fam I really enjoy reading these articles keep it up fan

[Reply]

• Where Are They Now?

News

KMHS: A STEM Certified School

• Where Are They Now?

News

Supreme Court 2016

• Where Are They Now?

News

Presidential Election 2016

• Where Are They Now?

News

Brexit in America

• Where Are They Now?

News

The Great Barrier Reef Is In Grave Danger

• Where Are They Now?

News

Pepe the Frog: The End of an Era

• Where Are They Now?

News

National Coming Out Day

• Where Are They Now?

News

National Hobbit Day

• Where Are They Now?

News

Lochte, You Done Goofed

• Where Are They Now?

News

It’s Good to be Back

Where Are They Now?