• 7/27: Freshmen Orientation (10am - 11:30am)

• 7/31: First Day of School

• 7/20: Mustang Way

• 7/10 - 7/21: Band Camp (9am - 9pm)

Wild World Brought My World Crashing Down

Creative+Commons
Creative Commons

Creative Commons

Pey Curie

Pey Curie

Creative Commons

First things first, if my mom asks, I did not stay up till midnight for the release of Bastille’s new album and then also stay up another hour listening to the entire album. Ever since Bastille’s hit “Pompeii” infiltrated the radio waves a few years ago, the band has been conquering the music scene. Their first album All This Bad Blood showed just a taste of what the British band was capable of. When their main track “Bad Blood” became a hit soon after Pompeii’s radio reign was over, I was intrigued. Not too soon after that, the band made a musical appearance on the talkshow Ellen,  and played their track “Flaws.” I knew I was in for good. Did I run over and listen to their Spotify album for 2 weeks straight? Of course not. Did I just lie to you? Of course I did. Bastille has gained popularity due to their ability to infuse characteristics from different genres and decades, and managing to  merge them into musical masterpieces. Their music is known for its prominent drum rhythms and upbeat violin strings that you can’t help but want to jam out to.

After reaching the last track on the album, “Tuning Out”, I knew I was going to have a rough time waiting for their next album. That was two years ago, and despite their release of an album full of remix collaborations featuring a slew of other artists, I was still desperately in need of some new tracks.they  So, fans awaited the release, and on September 9th, we were gifted with Wild World.

The lineup for the album consisted of 19 songs, three of which had been released prior to the album’s debut in hopes to promote the release. “Send it Off,” “Good Grief,” and “Fake it” were each dropped throughout the summer to create some hype leading up to the already much-anticipated September 9th. The clear winner of all 19 songs is “Good Grief.” It’s the first track on the album and without a doubt has the most infectious lyrics and beat. If you listen closely the words in the song are slightly depressing as the lyrics are laced with talk about “dancing at funerals” and “missing from photographs”, but the rhythm is so contagious they can be easily looked over. Starting my midnight listen with “Good Grief” it seemed the album was going to be just as addicting as the first, but my thoughts seemed to be flawed. One of the biggest musical elements of the band’s first album was the total lack of guitar. This time around they decided to make guitar the key instrument in all the songs. The idea they had of adding such a significant instrument as a key element gave the band’s sound a complete 180, and I didn’t like it. The lyrics remained as insightful as the first round but the beats were too heavy and though they were good, they just didn’t match the style of music I sought after from Bastille.

Still a fan, I continued to listen to the album in hopes of a song I would enjoy. Two in particular seemed to be tolerable, “Campus” and “Lethargy”, however the rest were sub-par in comparison to Bastille’s previous songs. I finished the album around 1:05 in the morning and sighed in disappointment. Yet, I remained a dedicated fan and lowered the volume and left it to play as I fell asleep and continued to listen to it the next day. After playing the album on repeat for the next few days I began to grow fond to the songs, but the lyrics just aren’t as catchy and the songs just aren’t as good. I still love the band, don’t get me wrong, the songs aren’t bad, but my expectations weren’t met. I mostly just keep “Good Grief,” “Lethargy,” and “Campus” on repeat (you really should go give those a try) and hope album three might give me something good.

Until then, Wild World will have to hold me over. I hope I’ll survive.