Who’s Afraid of Female Ghostbusters?

"I Ain't Afraid Of No Haters!"

Lizandro Junior

Lizandro Junior

After months of outcry from “dedicated” fans of the original Ghostbusters, the new reboot starring an all female cast is released to theaters worldwide. Yet, even before the pomp and circumstance of this new movie’s opening, many fans and critics alike, males being the majority, have called the rendition a disgrace to the original. 

These same self-proclaimed “true fans” then turned to social media to express their negative opinions over the movie. The official trailer has amassed over 1 million dislikes, with the comment section littered with “men’s rights supporters” professing their boycott of a film that star “feminnazis” and support “sjw bs”. The hate group has even taken it a step further and stormed the Twitter fandom, manned (pun intended) by a large batch of angry men, and proceeded to heckle the director, Paul Feig. Many have gone so far as to harass actress Leslie Jones, who plays Patty Tolan, off of twitter for a short period of time through never-ending racist and sexist slurs.

Regardless of the movie’s reception from these men, the movie has done a fine job in doing what Hollywood has yet to do – portraying fierce and powerful women that empower a new generation of young girls.

The recent release’s influence on young girls stretches worldwide, helping empower girls and women within the STEM fields – a field often dominated by older male counterparts. The strong female leads spread the message that if there is a will, there is a way – gender bias be damned.

The film also exposes a number of Hollywood’s would-be stereotypes. One of the most commonly seen stereotypes has to be the ever-present role of the young blonde bombshell, who’s sure to serve as the plot’s damsel in distress that ends up hopelessly in love with the lead male by the end of the movie. Fortunately, we’re all given a break from the norm when Ghostbuster’s damsel in distress is found in the very captivating and puppy-like character of Chris Hemsworth, known in the movie as Kevin Beckman.

Another stereotype in casting is found in the comediennes Melissa McCarthy, Leslie Jones, and Kristen Wiig who play Abby Yates, Patty Tolan, and Erin Gilbert, respectively. Breaking the movie myth that any lady over 35 is sure to be a mother, these talented women prove that women over 40 aren’t as frail and old as one would like to think.

With such positive messages of empowering women in STEM fields, destroying the objectification of women on screen, and spreading body positivity, not to mention an amazing cast of women, why all the haters?

Quite a simple answer, really. It’s the art of modern misogyny.

Men have balked at the translation, quick to call the film a failure for the sake of its main cast consisting of women. It’s not that they don’t appreciate women, of course they do! It’s just that they don’t want women in roles that are traditionally male.

There are axiomatic views of women and men alike, and the problem is that people in general are having a hard time accepting that a woman can do a man’s job and succeed, simple as that. So what do they do? They complain, they review, and they down vote the movie’s ratings, many critics proclaiming that this failure “will haunt Sony.”  Men perpetuate the gross sexism and misogyny found on screen through their actions because, once again, their privilege gives them the freedom to do so. However, with this movie and others like it, women continue to breakthrough in the media despite of the oppression of widely accepted misogynistic views.

Outside of media, occupations formerly viewed as traditionally and exclusively for men, women have stepped in and succeeded – from sportswriters and firefighters to army rangers and video game designers, and even commander-in-chief!

It’s time for Hollywood and the rest of media to catch on: You don’t need to be a man to strap on a proton pack.

Ghostbusters (2016) will be released on DVD and Blu-Ray on October 11, 2016.