• 6/20 - 6/22: Youth Football Camp (6:30pm - 8:30pm)

• 6/19 - 6/23: Boys & Girls Mustang Soccer Camp (8am - 12pm [Half Day]) (8am - 4pm [Full Day]), Ages 6 - 13

• 6/5 - 6/8: 17th Annual Mustang Basketball Camp (9am - 3pm), Grades 1st - 9th

• 6/5 - 6/8: Mustang Volleyball Camp (4:30pm - 7:30pm)

Apple vs The FBI?

Jaime Garcia, Reporter

fbi-vs-appleIt seems like a colossal battle, right? Apple vs the United States Government. Two of the world’s biggest superpowers duking it out over… the iPhone. Okay, it is not as simple as that. If you have not already heard, the two powers are in a legal battle over the US government wanting a “back door” to the newest iPhone. Apple politely denied their request, but what does this mean? Why are they duking it out over this request? Well, let us get into it.

First, we will start with the US government’s case. It all started with the San Bernadino shooting in California. I will not go into detail, but the main thing you need to know is that one of the shooters had the most recent iPhone on their person. As we all know, most companies allow the government to collect data on us. It is a large invasion of privacy, but it could help preventing or stopping any serious events that could occur, emphasis on “could” but I will get to that later. Anyway, the US government cannot really access the phone. With literally millions of combinations, it would take a LONG time to go through all of the possible passwords. So, as a result, the government asked Apple for a “back door” to the phone. This basically means that there is a one code fits all so that the government can get into all of the phones of the same typ e. It makes code-breaking phones MUCH easier, but, if leaked or use incorrectly, could lead to some adverse effects to the owners of said phones. Apple politely refused which, as we can all probably guess, was not the answer the government wanted and, subsequently, led to a court case over if Apple can say no. Why did they reject it? Well, it is a myriad of reasons.

Long story short: Apple doesn’t trust the government. Let’s start with my emphasized “could” I said earlier. As we know, the government collecting data on its citizens could stop any events that could lead to the loss of human life, but the problem is that it has not. For the long time that data has been collected, the FBI has released that there have not really been anything that has been prevented. It helps with learning about information after, but it is a bit late by that point. So, Apple doesn’t really have any trust in the government since the government hasn’t really proven itself yet. Secondly, that type of cracking power in the wrong hands could have some bad effects. The government said that they only want to use the power for this case, but you and I both know that they’ll probably keep it for future reference. Why would they not? That’s a pretty valuable tool at their disposal that could crack ALL the phones of the same type. Apple probably does not want all of their phones to be accessible with a press of a button and definitely does not want that power to be abused. For those reasons, and much more probably, they politely declined the government’s request and the two powers are in the midst of a legal battle over the technology.

What do you think about all of this? Are you on the side of Righteous Apple or the 160218164036-trump-fbi-snowden-apple-780x439Noble US government? Other large tech companies like Google, Yahoo, Twitter and many other influential people/groups are on Apple’s side of the argument and agree that they should not be forced to comply and give up security. Politicians like Donald Trump, Senator Tom Cotton, Senator Dianne Feinstein, and others agree with the government’s request and that Apple should comply with it. What about popular opinion? Well, the Pew Research Center recently conducted a survey and approximately 38% of those surveyed support Apple with 51% supporting the government’s request and 11% being undecided. Of course, this could all vary on what type of phone the participants had, what they heard, etc., but it offers good insight as to what popular opinion may be. What do you think? This is a pivotal moment as the decision could define how we view technology and privacy in the eventful future.

Learn more here:

More Support for Justice Department Than for Apple in Dispute Over Unlocking iPhone

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/apple-vs-the-fbi-a-complete-guide-2016-02-20

http://money.cnn.com/2016/02/18/technology/apple-fbi-taking-sides/

FBI Fires Back at Apple: Corporations Shouldn’t Run iPhone Unlocking Debate